Updates on the SGMF Leadership Academy
- Congratulations to the 10th cohort and to 5 years of our Leadership Academy!
- We are currently reviewing applications for the Winter 2017 program to run January 14 to May 17, 2017. To find out more about how you can join one of the most exciting public land movements in the country, contact Duyen Tran at email@example.com or 213-222-3577.
- The latest on our blog: Leadership Academy classes, insights from students, reports on classes, events, and more.
- On the Ground posts on projects and activities.
About the Leadership Academy
The San Gabriel Mountains Forever Leadership Academy teaches civic engagement, community advocacy, and project management—in working to permanently protect and enhance our mountains, rivers, and parks, with access for all. To date, the Leadership Academy has graduated 80 people and completed 36 community engagement projects. Students have travelled to Washington, D.C., to advocate for their communities and continue to work throughout Los Angeles. Approximately 78% of our graduates identify as Latino; 57% are immigrants; 57% are women; and 60% are college-age or younger.
Leadership Academy Members Learn: Over a six-month period, participants gather every two weeks to discuss the San Gabriel Mountains campaign, community organizing, strategic planning, power mapping, public speaking, project management, local ecology, strategic media, and the role of art in advocacy. The program is ideal for: students who are eager to learn the process of leading a grassroots campaign; retirees who are interested in improving their neighborhood; and parents who would like better recreation opportunities for their kids.
Leadership Academy Members Receive:
- Training from experienced organizers and professionals
- $1,000 funding to support your own project
- $500 upon completion of the program
(Financial aid is awarded, based on need, to cover transportation and family care.)
For more information, contact Duyen Tran at firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-222-3577