Updates on the SGMF Leadership Academy
- Congrats to the 12th cohort! You can read about them here: SGMF Leadership Academy Cohort 12 biographies. The Fall 2017 program will run from July 15, 2017 to November 15, 2017.
- If you are interested in applying for the Spring 2018 cohort, the application will open later this November 2017.
- To find out more, contact Duyen Tran at firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-222-3577.
- The latest on our blog: Leadership Academy classes, insights from students, reports on classes, events, and more.
- On the Ground posts on projects and activities.
About the Leadership Academy
The San Gabriel Mountains Forever Leadership Academy is a 6-month training program of San Gabriel Mountains Forever (SGMF) that emphasizes civic engagement, community advocacy and project management. The Leadership Academy was created to achieve the SGMF goal of supporting a local legacy of public lands stewards, particularly among youth and in communities of color. Over the past five years, the Leadership Academy has graduated ten classes and a total of 93 individuals.
- 62% are YOUTH
- 57% are WOMEN
- 75% identify as LATINO
- 87% identify as IMMIGRANT
Academy graduates have successfully executed community engagement projects around Los Angeles, San Gabriel Valley and in the San Fernando Valley. Graduates have traveled to Washington, D.C., to advocate for their communities and continue to work throughout Los Angeles through employment with SGMF, the California Conservation Corps., the US Forest Service, and the City of Claremont and other local organizations.
Participants gather every two weeks to discuss: the SGMF campaign, community organizing, strategic planning, power mapping, public speaking, fundraising, strategic media, project management, and local ecology. Each participant is eligible for financial aid. Each participant is expected to propose and execute a community project that engages their community on protecting and enhancing access to the San Gabriel Mountains, Rivers and Watershed areas.
For more information, contact Duyen Tran at email@example.com or 213-222-3577