While buildings have blueprints, national monuments have management plans. The Forest Service needs our help creating a comprehensive management plan for the San Gabriel Mountains. It’s critical that communities in Los Angeles County continue to actively participate in developing the plan, working to improve access and recreational amenities, while protecting waters and habitats.
Here’s how you can help:
- Attend one of the U.S. Forest Service’s public meetings, where Forest Service officials will answer questions and provide additional information (dates and times below). RSVP and we’ll keep you updated.
- Saturday, September 10, 1-3 pm., Webinar (online registration required) (FB event)
- Wednesday, September 14, 3-8 pm, Pico House, 430 N Main St., Los Angeles (FB event)
- Thursday, September 15, 4-8 pm, The Centre, 20880 Centre Pointe Pkwy., Santa Clarita (FB event)
- Saturday, September 17, 10 am-2 pm, Angeles National Forest Headquarters, 701 North Santa Anita Ave., Arcadia (FB event)
- Tuesday, October 4, 3:30-7:30 pm, Big Pines Lodge, Angeles Crest Highway (Highway 2), Wrightwood (FB event)
- Provide your written comments to the Forest Service to help decide what should be included in the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument. Deadline to submit comments is Tuesday, November 1. (To help you, we have notes on the draft plan on what we would like to see improved!)
Related: In addition, as a direct result of the management plan, the U.S. Forest Service has launched a pilot transit-to-trails program and will offer a FREE shuttle from the Arcadia Gold Line Station to Chantry Flat on the following days:
- Saturday, September 24 (National Public Lands Day)
- Sunday, September 25
- Saturday, October 1
- Sunday, October 2
- Saturday, October 8
- Sunday, October 9
Times of service: 7am-4pm, running every 30-45 minutes. The Forest Service is also looking for volunteers to help staff informational kiosks at Arcadia and Chantry Flat in four-hour shifts. For more information on volunteering, please email Carmen Young, email@example.com.