San Gabriel Mountains Forever is working for the protection and enhancement of our mountains, rivers, foothills, and parks with access for all. This includes efforts to:
- Increase facilities, services, and staffing in the Angeles Forest—including more access trails, interpretive signs, and multilingual rangers.
- Preserve and enhance the natural, historic, and scenic resources of the San Gabriel Mountains and the valley.
- Improve water quality and fishing by reducing trash, graffiti, and user-created dams on the San Gabriel River.
- Create and improve urban parks and open space and provide opportunities for residents to connect with nature and explore the mountains.
- Boost economic benefits with increased tourism, job creation, and higher property values for adjacent communities.
SEEKING PROTECTION OF THE SAN GABRIEL MOUNTAINS
Securing The San Gabriel Mountains National Monument
The monument was designated by President Obama in October 2014, as a direct result of our efforts over the years to secure additional protections for this region. It was a great victory for San Gabriel Mountains Forever and we are actively participating in the development of the management plan for the new monument— to improve access, recreational amenities, our rivers and habitat. We also see the monument designation as an opportunity to help guide future efforts.
Seeking Federal Legislation for Further Protection
Legislation is a continued priority that may include expanding the new monument through legislation, establishing a National Recreation Area outside of the Forest and wilderness, and Wild and Scenic River designations for areas of particular conservation concern. To this end, we continue to work with Congressional leaders and engage the various communities who cherish LA County’s greatest treasure. Much work remains, and we are committed to fulfilling our mission of permanently protecting and increasing access to the San Gabriel Mountains, foothills, and rivers.
EDUCATION AND STEWARDSHIP
Our efforts include work to find, educate, and encourage environmental stewards to care for our public lands, with the San Gabriel Mountains Forever Leadership Academy and other engagement efforts.
PROJECTS TO IMPROVE THE SAN GABRIEL MOUNTAINS AND SURROUNDING REGION
WORK WITH OTHER LOS ANGELES COALITIONS
As part of our work to improve the region and provide Angelenos with more access to green open spaces and public lands, San Gabriel Mountains Forever is a member of Los Angeles-based coalitions:
EnviroMetro Coalition: Working on green, equitable, and healthy transportation.
OurParks Coalition: Working on creating and refurbishing parks, ball fields, play areas, and walking trails.